Limiting beliefs that compromise your future, are a belief system that we’ve created or was passed down to us that strangely constrain us. They are usually manifested as thoughts that swim around in our subconscious minds that masquerade as truth. Hence, they are very powerful. These beliefs are typically about our identity or that of another. Either way, they have the power to stop us from moving forward in the direction of our dreams.
Whether you realize it or not, these thoughts can have a profound effect on your life. When you can break free from your limiting beliefs, you can change your life and start living the life that you’ve always wanted.
Here is a short list of some of the most common limiting beliefs that compromise your future:
- I’m not smart enough.
- I’m too old to do this.
- I’m too young to do this.
- I’m too ordinary; there’s nothing special about me.
- I don’t know my purpose.
- I’m too busy.
- I don’t have enough resources.
- I have no idea where to start.
- I can’t make any money doing my passion
- I don’t have the qualifications or the certifications
- I don’t know what I want.
- I don’t know what I’m doing.
- I don’t need help, I can do everything myself.
- I know everything.
- I’m not good enough.
- I need to change (fill in the blank) before I can (fill in the blank).
- I’m not good with money.
- I’m not attractive enough
Whew. That is just a short list. Trust me, there are many more where those came from. Do any of these sound familiar? Whatever, your limiting belief is, you have to somehow identify them and devise a plan to counteract them, so you can move forward and thrive.
Next, let’s take a look at the 3 main ways that your limiting beliefs are holding you back from realizing your dreams and living the life you want.
They Stunt Your Living Experience
When you are constricted by your limiting beliefs, you will experience far fewer adventures throughout your life. For example, if you believe that outdoor hiking is dangerous, you will probably experience the beauty of the outdoors, and you will miss out on the thrill that so many others have experienced. No matter how great your life is at this current moment, you are holding onto beliefs that are stopping you from experiencing life to the fullest. Pause and think about that for a moment.
They Make You Inefficient by Wasting a lot of Time
The limiting beliefs that you are holding onto cause us to find an alternate path. If we believe that the best route won’t work for us, we can spend a ton of time following a less direct way to work around our limiting beliefs. For example, you may have always dreamed of being a teacher but believe that you can’t make a great living as a teacher, so you do everything but teach. Save yourself time and deal with the beliefs that are holding you back rather than giving up on what you want.
They Can Cause You to Unintentionally Harm Others
Your limiting beliefs can be likened to a virus because they are more likely to be caught than they are to be taught. You may have the best intentions, yet you can still infect others with your limiting beliefs and mediocrity. The limiting beliefs that you pass onto others then affect them for the rest of their lives. You need to take some time and consider who you are infecting with your limiting beliefs and how those beliefs are affecting them and their potential to live their best life.
How to conquer the limiting beliefs that can compromise your future.
- First, recognize that we all have limiting beliefs and identify yours.
- Try to figure out the origin of this belief. Ask questions: Where did this come from? Why do I feel this way? Did something happen in my childhood that triggered this?
- Figure out what you want to believe about yourself instead of this limiting belief. For example LB (limiting belief): I’m too old. NB (new belief): I’m still here so therefore I can still do (fill in the blank).
- Find an example of someone with similar circumstances who rose above them to achieve their goal. If they can do it, then you can too!
- Create positive affirmations around your new reality. “I am good enough to do (fill in the blank).
- Determine what your next action will be to move closer to the future that you envision for yourself and those you love.
As you journey through life and become aware of these limiting beliefs, you can create a counter-belief system, one that supports you and your goals.
Limiting beliefs can be incredibly destructive and will always keep you from achieving the life of your dreams. If you want to change your life and enjoy your future you need to identify your limiting beliefs and start taking the necessary steps to overcome them.
In other words, expose the lie, discover the truth, and truly begin to walk free.
Be well +prosper,